Last Updated on March 19, 2022 by Admin 2
PMI-PBA : PMI Professional in Business Analysis : Part 01
A business analyst is developing a traceability matrix to determine whether or not any gaps exist and to identify any discrepancies.
Which critical field is needed to ensure that the traceability matrix is usable?
- Requirements description
A business analyst has been asked to investigate a problem. This investigation will provide input towards developing a business case. The business analyst wants to first understand the company’s current business processes.
Which technique should the business analyst use?
- RACI matrix
- User stories
The customer and the business analyst are collaborating in the development of a solution scope. It is important for the customer to:
- spend the time required to provide, clarify, and elaborate requirements.
- communicate changes to requirements only when they are completely defined.
- perform an alternatives analysis for requirements implementation.
- challenge assessments of the cost and feasibility of requirements.
A business analyst is leading a project to implement automated order entry software at a local pizza restaurant. The business analyst has very little information about the project: the ordering process takes too long and often ends in incorrect orders.
What step should the business analyst take next?
- Identify testing resources to support the implementation.
- Request information on the current ordering process and compare it with other companies.
- Select the software to implement and start working with the technical resources.
- Schedule requirements gathering sessions with the manager of the ordering department.
After a project was delivered, the business analyst learns of a project objective with no associated requirement. What would have helped determine this issue before delivery?
- Context diagram
- Use cases
- Tracing requirements
- Process flow
A business analyst is conducting a cost-benefit analysis of potential solution options. The stakeholders have indicated that the estimated growth rate is very important to them.
Which technique will allow the business analyst to determine this information?
- Net present value (NPV)
- Payback period
- Return on investment (ROI)
- Internal rate of return
During user acceptance testing, a defect is logged by a user from a department that did not participate in the requirements analysis. To avoid this situation and minimize impact on the project, the user should have been:
- interviewed to understand how the user’s work would be impacted.
- involved in the development and sign-off of the business requirements.
- given the opportunity to review the user acceptance test scripts.
- identified as a stakeholder as part of the stakeholder analysis.
A business analyst is reviewing a discrepancy report after a test session. The discrepancy report has revealed a defect that the business analyst must address.
Which of the following criteria should the business analyst use to identify the appropriate response to the defective test result?
- Perform an impact analysis and open a change request to include the revised requirement in the next baseline.
- Inspect the requirements traceability matrix to verify if the requirement is connected to a use case.
- Determine if the defect is in the solution developed, in the original requirement or in the test case.
- Verify that the corresponding requirement was appropriately signed off by the requesting stakeholder.
During validation of a project solution, the business analyst discovers that a requirement has been altered. Instead of placing the company logo in the upper-left corner of the window, it is displayed in the upper-right corner. When the business analyst asks the developer about the change, the developer says that one of the stakeholders asked directly for the change.
Which correct action should the business analyst take?
- Confront the stakeholder that requested the change.
- Follow the change control process as defined in the business analysis plan.
- Discuss the change in the next stakeholder meeting.
- Ask the developer to correct the logo as stated in the requirement.
A company is developing a new e-commerce platform to enter a new market segment. Development is well under way when the government issues a new set of regulations.
Which course of action should the business analyst take?
- Check the traceability matrix to identify affected use cases.
- Evaluate if the new set of regulations is aligned with the business case.
- Evaluate the impact of the change on the project schedule.
- Obtain management sign-off on the new set of regulations.
Requirements elicitation for a project is occurring. The marketing, acquisition, and production departments want to include specific requirements. The CEO has a requirement to deploy in three months.
Which of the following actions will have a greater influence on the project success?
- Estimate the effort required for each requirement and develop as many functionalities as possible.
- Prioritize and develop the requirements of the marketing department since the project will impact a greater number of people.
- Conduct a stakeholder analysis and balance requirements by understanding the relative power associated with each stakeholder group.
- Explain the situation to the CEO and try to obtain an extension of the contract for the actual time necessary to develop the system.
A stakeholder wants to modify an existing feature. Which of the following would be used to determine the scope of the change on the product?
- Sequence diagram
- Requirements traceability matrix
- Requirements attributes table
- Project schedule and cost baseline
A company’s management team has decided to deploy a new product. However, there is concern that users may not accept a new product that forces them to change existing practices.
The business analyst should:
- adhere to the project plan to achieve project objectives.
- clearly communicate project objectives and attempt to defuse tensions.
- delay the application’s deployment until the conflicts have been resolved.
- voice user concerns to management and recommend that the project be closed.
A business analyst is working with the project manager, company auditors, and project stakeholders to determine whether formal signoff should be required for the project. For which reason would the business analyst recommend formal signoff to the group?
- The organization follows an iterative project life cycle.
- The project impact is contained within a small department of the company.
- Errors in the product could result in financial solvency.
- The industry is unregulated.
Through user acceptance testing, a software flaw was identified. What should the business analyst do next as part of the root cause analysis in order to analyze and resolve the discrepancy?
- Create an interface analysis
- Create a Delphi estimation.
- Create a functional decomposition.
- Create a fishbone diagram.
A national company with offices in every state in the country has deployed a solution to allow employees to view their health benefits online. The business analyst on the project team is validating solution results to assess whether or not the solution has achieved the desired business result.
Which is the best technique to gather information from employees regarding their satisfaction with the solution?
- Organization modeling
- Focus groups
- Interface analysis
A sponsor requests a new requirement. The business analyst explains that most of the information needed for this requirement does not exist and that the requirement cannot be implemented. The business analyst recommends deferring the requirement until the needed information is available and then adding it to a subsequent project. The sponsor agrees.
What should the business analyst do next?
- Mark the requirement as complete so that it is not forgotten.
- Ask the stakeholder to review the requirement before any other action is taken.
- Communicate that the status of this requirement has changed.
- Bring the subsequent project to the change control board (CCB).
What should a business analyst do after discovering that two solution requirements conflict?
- Communicate the conflict to stakeholders and facilitate a resolution.
- Update the requirements baseline and upload it to the project repository.
- Perform an impact analysis and propose a lower-cost alternative,
- Consult the sponsor(s) and log the constraint.
A business analyst is working on a project to implement a new call management system for a help desk. They expected the average time interval to answer a call to decrease over time, but the interval has increased instead.
Which technique should the business analyst use to investigate the problem?
- Process modeling
- Root cause analysis
In the middle of a project, a new requirement was added to the scope. The business analyst must determine if any impacts, dependencies, or risks are associated with the addition to the scope.
What task should the business analyst perform in order to identify these impacts?
- Manage requirements traceability.
- Manage assumptions and constraints.
- Manage solution scope.
- Manage requirements prioritization.